Monday, April 27, 2009

[341] Project 3 Progress and Imagery

Hello,

For my final project I'm doing a haiku book, it's not really haiku though, the poems don't follow traditional subject matter nor are they in Japanese, but they do have the 3 line 5, 7, 5 syllable structure. My 2008 New Year's Resolution was to write a haiku a day, sadly I didn't but I ended up with a little over 200. I picked around 20 for this project, which I will play with typography and accompany each haiku with my own imagery, except for one poem. The haikus are mostly random thoughts I was having at the time but some are specific events. I plan on binding my book the same way Joe bound his personal annual report.

Here are 3 rough spreads:







Here is a collage of some of the imagery I'm going to use:


What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

-Paul

3 comments:

  1. It is a very nice idea you have for your book. It gives you so many possibilities to play with type and imagery. I like how you present the text and the image together. I think the empty white space helps the haiku to be as important as the image next to it; at the same time, it emphasizes the direct relationship that exists between the haiku and the image. So far I understand the three that you have here. I’ll see how you use the other images with your haiku. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol so i like how you started playing with the type. the nature of the type makes me want to see like david carson style type. something distressed. i dunno if thats the way you wanna go though. i think it could compliment the photos you chose as well.

    ReplyDelete